top of page

Types of Visas

One of the questions that immigration attorneys hear the most is the following: What are the different types of visas that exist to enter the United States? In today's blog we will be briefly explaining the different types of visa. The government agency in charge of granting visas to enter the United States is the State Department. There are two categories of visas: non-immigrant visas and immigrant visas. As the name implies, non-immigrant visas are granted to those people who do not want to emigrate to the United States, and only want to enter the country temporarily. Immigrant visas are those that are granted to those who wish to immigrate permanently to the United States. Non-immigrant visas include visas for athletes to attend a competition, as well as their coaches, diplomatic visas, business visas, exchange visitor, domestic worker or nanny, foreign military serving the United States, transfer of company employees, artists of any branch, with pending presentations; visas for teachers and medical personnel, for religious workers, for students, for temporary workers in agriculture, for those with specialized knowledge in certain subjects, transit visas and finally tourist visas. The above list is not intended to be exhaustive. There are other types of non-immigrant visas that you could apply for. We only intend to mention the most common ones. Generally, when you obtain a non-immigrant visa, you will not be able to work in the United States, or receive compensation for services rendered, with some exceptions such as temporary workers for agriculture, or people with specialized knowledge in certain subjects, or the artists who come to make presentations, among other cases. Each particular visa will establish the restrictions that its bearer has. Non-immigrant visas are generally obtained at the American consulates of their bearers' places of residence. Immigrant visas, as the name implies, are granted to those who are going to reside permanently in the United States. In order to obtain an immigrant visa, it will be necessary to start a process with USCIS. Depending on the type of process that is started with USCIS, it will be the type of immigrant visa that is requested. Immigrant visas include visas for spouses of American citizens, visas for spouses of American citizens awaiting a family petition, visas for fiancées, visas for children to be adopted by American citizens, visas for relatives of American citizens, visas for family members of permanent residents, investor and professional visas, religious worker visas, and the visas of the lottery winners of the diversity of visas. Again, this list is not exhaustive, and there are other types of immigration visas that you can obtain. Immigrant visas are generally granted after an American citizen or permanent resident in the United States initiates a process for the beneficiary of the visa from the United States. This type of visa cannot be requested directly by the beneficiary. These visas are generally granted at the American consulates of the beneficiary's place of residence. If you would like more information on the different types of visas that may be available to you, call us today. In Y. Morejon Attorney, P.A. we work immigration cases and we can help you. The first consultation is free. Here, your problem is our problem.

Legal Disclaimer Any information made available by the lawyer or law firm is for educational purposes only, as well as to give you general information and general understanding of the law, NOT to provide specific advice. This does NOT create a relationship attorney-client between you and Y. Morejon Attorney, P.A. This information should NOT be use as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.

2 views0 comments


bottom of page