top of page

My Green Card expired. What can I do?

Updated: May 2, 2023

If you are a permanent resident and your residence card or Green Card is expired, or is about to expire, in this blog we will be explaining the renewal process, as well as the extension of your Green Card.

If your residence card or Green Card is about to expire, and you do not want to start the citizenship process, you will need to request a new card from USCIS. If your card expires, that does not mean that your permanent resident category has expired, you are still a permanent resident, and you will not lose this category for the sole reason of owning an expired card.

It is a good idea to start your permanent green card renewal process at least three months before your current one expires. As we have mentioned numerous times, immigration processes are lengthy, and your card will most likely expire while your petition is in progress.

Previously, while their case was being processed, USCIS would stamp the permanent resident's passport, so that this would serve as evidence of their status. The stamp was valid for one year from the date of issue. Generally, the passport was stamped at the time the person attended the appointment to be fingerprinted, although an InfoPass could also be requested from the administrative entity for this reason.

Due to the coronavirus, and the need for social distancing, USCIS has stopped scheduling InfoPass, and appointments for fingerprints could take longer than normal, so the administrative entity, since January 2021 has created a new form I-797 Notice of Action, which extends the validity of the expired green card.

The new form will be received by the applicant 7 to 10 days after USCIS accepts the request for the extension of the permanent residence card. This Notice of Action will be printed on a secure paper and extends the validity of the expired green card or permanent residence card for a period of twelve (12) months. This form must be presented together with the expired green card and will serve as temporary evidence that the person is a permanent resident. With this evidence, the applicant may even travel outside the country.

If you need help renewing your permanent residence or green card, do not hesitate to call us. In Y. Morejon Attorney, P.A. we handle immigration cases, and we can help you with yours. trust our professionals to solve your legal problem. In Y. Morejon Attorney, P.A. your problem is our problem.

Legal Disclaimer Any information made available by the lawyer or law firm is for educational purposes only, as well as to give you general information and general understanding of the law, NOT to provide specific advice. This does NOT create a relationship attorney-client between you and Y. Morejon Attorney, P.A. This information should NOT be use as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.

3 views0 comments


bottom of page