top of page

How to file a petition for your children?

The I130 family petition is an important tool for reuniting families who have been separated by borders and distance. When sons and daughters are the beneficiaries of the I130 family petition, there are specific eligibility requirements and application procedures that must be followed to ensure a successful outcome. Today’s blog will explore the I130 family petition when sons and daughters are the beneficiaries.

To initiate an I-130 family petition, the sponsoring parent must meet certain eligibility criteria. A U.S. citizen can file an I-130 petition for their children, regardless of age or marital status. This includes both unmarried and married sons and daughters. Similarly, LPRs can petition for their children, but only if they are unmarried. The petitioner must prove their citizenship or lawful permanent resident status and provide evidence of the parent-child relationship, such as birth certificates or adoption records. It's essential to seek legal advice to understand the specific requirements and supporting documentation needed for the I-130 family petition.

Once the petition is filed, it undergoes thorough review, including verification of documentation and background checks. If approved, the petition is forwarded to the National Visa Center (NVC), which handles further processing. The NVC collects additional documents, such as financial information and civil documents, and assigns a case number.

After the NVC completes its review, the case is transferred to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the child's home country. The child undergoes an interview to determine their eligibility for an immigrant visa. If successful, they receive an immigrant visa, allowing them to travel to the United States and obtain lawful permanent resident status. It is important to note that the I130 family petition process can be emotionally difficult for both the petitioner and the beneficiary. The process can be long and frustrating. If you need help, do not hesitate to contact us.

If you need help understanding the law, we offer the first consultation for FREE. At Y. Morejon Attorney, P.A. your problem is our problem.

Legal Disclaimer

Any information made available by the lawyer or law firm is for educational purposes only, as well as to give you general information and general understanding of the law, NOT to provide specific advice. This does NOT create a relationship attorney-client between you and Y. Morejon Attorney, P.A. This information should NOT be use as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.

5 views0 comments


bottom of page