top of page

Can I buy my green card?

One of the most frequent questions from my immigration clients is related to obtaining permanent resident status, or green-card status through the purchase of it. The answer to the question that gives its name to this blog is YES, YES you can buy your green card. Next, we give you the explanation of how it is possible to buy permanent resident status in the United States.

If you want to "buy" your permanent residence in the United States, you must apply for an EB-5 visa. The EB-5 category visas are visas used to encourage foreign investment in the United States, in exchange for obtaining legal status in the country.

Although it may seem simple, the process and requirements for obtaining this visa are complex.

First, we must talk about investing. If you wish to apply for the EB-5 visa, you must be able to invest in the United States, without borrowing, the amount of $ 1,800,000,000. If this investment is made in a rural area; rural area is understood to be any area within the metropolitan statistical area, or within the outer limits of any city or town, that has a population of 20,000 or more people; or in an area with a high unemployment rate; this is understood as a 150% unemployment rate above the national unemployment rate; then the investment may be $ 900,000.00. It is especially important that you understand that these funds must be available at the time of application for the visa, and it will be necessary to demonstrate that they are not subject to being returned, that is, they were not loaned. Demonstrating this requirement is one of the most important steps in obtaining your permanent residence.

The second step is to create a business, whose objective is to carry out for-profit activities, and that can create, at least, ten (10) full-time jobs for qualified citizens. What does this requirement mean is that it will be necessary for the capital to be invested to produce and create sufficient profits to employ qualified citizens full time. Full-time equates to 35 hours a week. When you speak of qualified citizens you are referring to American citizens, permanent residents or any other immigrant authorized to work in the United States. The person can be a conditional resident, an asylee, a refugee, or a person residing in the United States under withholding of removal. This definition does not include the immigrant investor, his or her spouse, sons or daughters, or any alien in any nonimmigrant status (such as an H-1B visa holder) or who is not authorized to work in the United States.

The applicant for this type of visa may also include in his application his spouse, and his children under 21 years of age, who will also receive his permanent residence card.

The “purchase” of the green card is nothing more than an investor visa application process. If you need assistance with this application, call us today. The first consultation is free. Our firm can help you achieve the American Dream. In Y. Morejon Attorney, P.A. your problem is our problem.

Legal Disclaimer

Any information made available by the lawyer or law firm is for educational purposes only, as well as to give you general information and general understanding of the law, NOT to provide specific advice. This does NOT create a relationship attorney-client between you and Y. Morejon Attorney, P.A. This information should NOT be use as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.

2 views0 comments


bottom of page